Oct 1, 2012
Maintaining a proper Rotation and using the right Cooldowns is essential to maximizing your Windwalker Monk. Use this guide to optimize your single target and AoE rotations while learning how to get the most out of your cooldowns.
Single Target Rotation – 5.0.5
Buffs: Maintain these buffs at all times.
- Stance: Stance of the Fierce Tiger
Chi Builders: Follow this priority to generate Chi when Chi < 3.
- Expel Harm when not at full health.
- Jab as default Chi builder. Watch for Power Strikes procs.
Chi Finishers: Follow this priority to spend Chi.
- Rising Sun Kick on cooldown. Applies Mortal Wounds.
- Tiger Palm as needed to maintain Tiger Power.
- Fists of Fury on cooldown.
- Tiger Palm with Mastery: Combo Breaker procs.
- Blackout Kick to dump excess Chi.
The Windwalker Monk DPS priority involves building and spending Chi. First, you only want to use Chi builders when you have < 3 Chi. If you have >= 3 Chi, use a Chi spender first before building more Chi. To build Chi, use Expel Harm when not at full health and then use Jab as your go-to Chi builder. When using Jab make sure to watch for Chi procs from Power Strikes.
The two most important uses for Chi are to cast Rising Sun Kick on cooldown and to stack and maintain the Tiger Power buff applied by Tiger Palm. After that, use Fists of Fury on cooldown. Watch for procs from Mastery: Combo Breaker and use them on Tiger Palm to help maintain Tiger Power. Finally, use Blackout Kick to dump excess Chi.
Dual-Wield or Two-Hand: DW DPS is currently ~4% ahead of 2H DPS.
AoE Rotation – 5.0.5
- Rising Sun Kick
- Spinning Crane Kick
With < 4 enemies, continue with the single target rotation on one of the targets. At > 4 enemies, use Rising Sun Kick to maintain Mortal Wounds and spam Spinning Crane Kick.
Effective Cooldowns – 5.0.5
These effective cooldowns are available if you chose them in your talent build.
- Chi Burst Use as needed for burst AoE DPS.
- Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger Use on cooldown for burst DPS. Stack with other DPS buffs.
These are effective cooldowns to try and incorporate into most all encounters.
- Energizing Brew Use as often as possible without wasting the additional Energy.
- Tigereye Brew Use immediately when you have 10 Brewing: Tigereye Brew.
- Touch of Death Use when possible to dispatch low health adds.